PlayShaala prepares a learner to get habituated to real life experiences and emerge as a PLAY SCHOLAR with essential Habits of Mind. The kids go beyond the child’s immediate experience of self, home and family. Five-year-olds are developing an interest in the community and the world outside their own and enjoy special events and trips.
The children at PlayShaala are active and demonstrate considerable Verbal Ability and Develop Concepts and Problem-Solving Skills based on their experiences.
The PlayShaala Learning SySTREAM focus on 16 attributes that human beings display when they behave intelligently. These attributes, called Habits of Mind, are researched and developed by Arthur L Costa and Bena Mallick. These are:
- Thinking and Communicating with Clarity and Precision
- Managing Impulsivity
- Gathering Data through all Senses
- Listening with Understanding and Empathy
- Creating, Imagining, Innovating
- Thinking Flexibly
- Responding with Wonderment and Awe
- Thinking about Thinking (Meta-Cognition)
- Taking Responsible Risks
- Striving for Accuracy
- Finding Humor
- Questioning and Posing Problems
- Thinking Interdependently
- Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations
- Remaining Open to Continuous Learning
When we teach the Habits of Mind, we are interested in enhancing the ways students produce knowledge rather than how they merely reproduce it. We want students to learn how to develop a critical stance with their work: Inquiring, Editing, Thinking Flexibly, and Learning from another person's perspective. The critical attribute of intelligent human beings is not only having information but also knowing how to act on it.